Felted mittens made from thrift store sweaters. I love this idea. This is a quick post to get you started as I too will be making some of these. I’ve already found 2 thrift store sweaters, washed and felted them and now I’m ready to get started. Stay tuned for how mine turned out and for now please drool appropriately over what others have done!
The project in a nutshell:
- Find 100% wool sweaters or just one sweater at your local thrift store.
- Wash and dry them to felt.
- Lay the sweater flat and plop one hand along the right-seam edge of the body of the sweater and trace
- Do the same with the other hand along the left-seam edge of the body of the sweater and trace
- Cut out your shapes leaving the seam functioning as a seam where it lies in your shapes
- Cut liners in the same shapes in fleace if you like
- Cut 4 inches off the arms at the cuffs if you want to sew on these as cufs for your mitts
- Sew your mitts
- Sew your liners and attach with your cuffs
- Voila! You have cute recycled eco friendly, beautiful handmade mittens to gift or keep!
Links to the experts who can actually write a proper sewing patterns based on the same general idea:
Popularity: 61% [?]